The One Where We Move

It was drizzling and grey the day we moved into our second story apartment. After mad dashes up and down the stairs and through the droplets of rain, we finally closed the door and stared dismally at our damp belongings thrown hurriedly in piles about the room. There was no bed, no table, no place to sit, and most importantly, nothing to eat. It was not a cheery beginning to our new life in a new state.
What had we done?
In theory, I loved the idea of moving to a brand new place. A clean slate. New places to explore. New friends to make. I was optimistic.
How naive.
After a few hours and more than a few $$, we managed to procure an air mattress, a few towels and cooking utensils and enough groceries to get us by until we could plan a bit better.
Never underestimate the cheering power of cheese sandwiches and tomato soup.
I’ll forever be thankful that we moved in on a Saturday. That gave us the weekend to organize a bit and gather our wits before Monday came.
Ugh.
The Husband started his new job that Monday. I did not. After he left, I looked around our practically bare establishment, sat down in the middle of the living room floor (no chairs, remember) and cried.
Terrified.
I like adventure. I promise. But to look around and see nothing familiar in your first week of moving is a terrifying thing. No familiar face. No place I recognized. Nothing. Going into town wasn’t an option since the husband had to take our only vehicle to work.
Again. What had we done?
Being without a job is hard on me. I tend to worry about things. Money things. To realize that I am doing nothing to bring in some income makes me feel completely helpless. I also need human interaction. I like some space, but too much makes me feel as if I’m going mad.
Send help, please.
My friend drove almost an hour to spend part of the day with me that first week. I will never be able to express exactly how much that meant to me. Lyn, you’re an angel.
Better days ahead.
3 Weeks have passed and things are beginning to look more cheery. I have my own car now. Family came for a weekend visit. The Husband is adjusting to his new job. The silver that began sprouting on his temples don’t seem to be multiplying as fast. I’m job searching, which has it’s obvious ups and downs. I still worry. I still don’t recognize faces. But I’m getting lost less often and the every day hyperventilating is down to approximately every two days or so.
To be continued.
-Mia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Hi, my name is Maria and I’ll be taking care of you this evening.”

June

Amish Wedding